Re: The MusicXML challenge and Chords

James Sutton wrote:
> ..and the voice determines which noteheads are stemmed together?

Well - you have a point. (I may have too much focus on playing the music.)
No, I would not like to let the voice determine this.

Then would rather group notes:
and keep the simplicity (i.e. also for single notes).

I think the music should be the base, the graphic appearance an addition.
(Like MIDI: notes are "events", other stuff is "metaevents"). But this
is MusicXML,
and we must be pragmatic.

Chords are also related to the <instrument..>-definition, which causes
much complexity. I think there should have been only one instrument
per part. This would require a new command, could be like:
<part-merge 1,2>
to show the instruments mixed.

Just some thoughts - another way is to keep it as it is, but make a
document with statements about MusicXML. I would divide this into
  "Mandatory", "Recommendations" and "Clarifications" in order to
make MusicXML more aligned.

Kind regards
Mogens