Re: The MusicXML challenge and Chords

It seems to me that the resolution to the tension between "innovation" and
"stability" in this case is a standard that is *extensible*.  This means
that the core standards are fixed and stable, but a person/group requiring
additional features can independently develop a standard for those extra
features and use this in conjunction with the existing standard.

This structure would accommodate users with non-standard features in their
music who would still like to benefit from the structures and systems
associated with a standard developed and maintained by a group such as this
one.

For those unwilling or unable to develop their own standards with which to
extend the music encoding standard, I agree that the solution for these
users is graphic software and formats such as PDF, JPG, and so on.  After
all, if a particular graphic score does not have a fixed semantic meaning,
why would one want to use a semantic standard to encode it?

Just a small terminology clarification: The music encoding standard should
be "open" in the sense that it should be available to all (see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_format), but this does not mean that
anybody can make changes to the standard without due process.

Sienna