RE: [Issue-70] Defined order of precedence missing inherited local values [Action-437]

Hi Yves,
From: Yves Savourel
Sent: Sunday, February 24, 2013 3:04 PM
To: public-multilingualweb-lt@w3.org
Subject: RE: [Issue-70] Defined order of precedence missing inherited local   values [Action-437]

Hi Felix, Fredrik, all,

Regarding issue-70's proposed solution (also related to issue-118 (HTML ITS default behavior))

> Here's a suggestion for the addition to 5.5 between "global selections"
> and "data category defaults". It should clarify the example if I'm not
> mistaken. Note though, he says "his instinct is that inherited local
> markup has precedence over global explicit rules" and this is currently
> not the case which might confuse other people. The more common case
> being <html translate=no> not overriding existing global rules on specific elements.
>
> 3.   Inheritance from a parent element node according to data category
> specific inheritance rules (inheritance<http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/WD-its20-20121206/#datacategories-defaults-etc>).
> ITS information is inherited from the closest parent itself selected
> via ITS markup or global rules. If said parent is selected via both
> explicit local ITS markup and global rules, the local ITS markup has
> precedence in the inheritance.

I agree that a clarification there would resolve the issue.

But I don't think the text "If said parent is selected via both explicit local ITS markup and global rules, the local ITS markup has precedence in the inheritance." The sentence is true only if none of the children node has been selected by a rule.

[F: This sentence was only talking about the inheritance from the parent. Saying if the parent has both explicit local and "explicit" global rules the local ones will be used in the inheritance. Maybe that sentence could be taken out completely. As for children maybe I'm missing something but the precedence rules are for a given rule and a given element node. So if the node is selected by an explicit local rule or in the example below an "explicit" global rule there shouldn't be any confusion really. Explicit local (1) or "explicit" global rules (2) have precedence over any inheritance (3) and defaults (4). I thought we were just adding the new third paragraph about inheritance to reflect that.]

In our current (and 1.0) mechanism the local markup overrides only the node where it is specified. Inheritance is something that is resolved after all nodes have been decorated and all overrides have been applied.

This is illustrated in this 1.0 example:
http://www.w3.org/International/its/tests/inputdata/Translate5.xml
As for the nodes that have not been explicitly selected by a global rules or a local one, they just take whatever value the parent has.

In Chase's example:

   <xml>
     <its:rules>
       <its:translateRule selector="//bar" translate="no" />
     </its:rules>
     <foo its:translate="yes">
       <bar>Is this translatable?</bar>
     </foo>
   </xml>

The content of <bar> is not translatable.

I'm not sure how to express that in the added paragraph, but we should make sure it's clear.

[F: I think by just saying inheritance has a lower precedence than explicit local and global rules that clarifies it. I was thinking maybe using the term "explicit" global rules but not sure that's correct usage.]

cheers,
-yves