Re: [Relevant for all] options for the RDF representation of ITS 2.0

Hi Felix et al.,

I think we need some more information to better understand the implications of the three options you present. So here are my initial thoughts and questions:

Option 1
This is the lowest hurdle, correct? We would keep the existing NIF references and simply make them non-normative, or is there anything more involved?

The drawbacks would be that a a non-normative section might be ignored by implementers and that a non-normative section written as though it were normative would be a little odd.

Option 2a
What is involved in 2a? Is it just copying the files and declaring them as part of ITS, or is there more involved?

This would, I would assume, create a mandatory new last call since actually declaring this NIF content as a normative part of ITS 2.0 would be a major substantive change. (A mapping is one thing, but this is adding new stuff.)

I'm also worried about what this does to NIF in the long run. If we declare this NIF content part of ITS 2.0, what happens when NIF itself develops further? It would seem we are creating, at the least, a fork in NIF (of between NIF and this NIFish stuff we would create), unless we have some sort of mutual maintenance agreement (but that would lead us right back to the problem we face now, would it not? that W3C does not want to be bound to external specifications with problematic IP).

Maybe you see a way to avoid some of the possible problems I can foresee here (and I assume you've probably thought this through much better than I have and probably consulted with Sebastian Hellmann), so what are your thoughts for how this would work and how we avoid potential problems.

Option 2b
Unless someone has an idea that is just waiting and ready to go at this point, I would not pursue this option given our deadlines. We simply don't have time to develop something that does what NIF does internal to our group.

In short, I think we need to understand the broader implications of each approach before we come to consensus and many of those implications depend on W3C positions that we aren't in a position to know yet. But if you know, Felix, maybe you can give some more guidance here.

Best,

Arle