Re: [ACTION-487][ISSUE-97][ISSUE--118] HTML5 Defaults

On 17.4.2013 11:10, Felix Sasaki wrote:

> It has three drawbacks:
>
> 1) Global rules are different than "real" defaults in terms of precedence.

We have special section for HTML precedence (6.4 -
http://www.w3.org/TR/2013/WD-its20-20130411/#html5-selection-precedence), so
we can modify it if necessary.

Also we can create two rule files one providing defaults, second
providing extraction of local ITS values. Then we can say something like:

1. Implicit local selection in documents (ITS local attributes on a
specific element). *Local selection is defined by the following rules...*

2. Global selections in documents (using mechanism of external global
rules or inline global rules), to be processed in a document order, see
Section 5.2.1: Global, Rule-based Selection for details.

3. Selection via inherited values. *Inheritance rules are by provided by
the following rules...*

4. Selections via defaults for data categories. *Defaults are provided
by the following rules...*

Then implementation is very easy -- it will just put global user-defined
rules in between rules for 1. and 3. and will not interpret local ITS
datacategories inside HTML.

> 2) If we go this way we won't be able to speficy "how to work with
> translate in HTML5" for "local only" implementations.

We can say that "local only" implementations MUST behave as if the
following rules will be used. Implementation doesn't have to support
global approach, it just have to behave in the same way as is described
in default rules.

> 3) we will have a disalignment with the behaviour of HTML5 "translate"
> implementations in browsers.

Why, we can model rules in a way it matches this.

    Jirka