Re: [ACTION-487][ISSUE-97][ISSUE--118] HTML5 Defaults

Hi Yves, all,

Am 16.04.13 14:41, schrieb Yves Savourel:
> Hi Pablo,
>
>> [PNC]: Yves, wrt Translate defaults, directly and indirectly
>> translatable attributes are by default translate=”yes”, and
>> the rest if not overridden are translate=”no” by default,
>> am I correct?
> Hum... From the HTML5 defaults viewpoint (independent of ITS):
> There are two kind of attributes: the ones that are translatable (directly or indirectly), e.g alt and the ones that are not translatable, eg. class.
>
> If you add a translate='yes|no' in an element, this affects only the attributes that are translatable.
> In other words: when using only the HTML5 default behavior, one cannot make a class attribute translatable for example (or a data-xyz).
>
> How we make work ITS semantics with HTML5 is a separate question.
>
> Now for attributes directly translatable and the attributes indirectly translatable:
>
> I've introduced this distinction because I'm not sure how to define it another way. I suppose from a test viewpoint both types should be seen with translate='yes|no' in the test output file. So, for example, a onclick attribute is by default translatable.
> But from a true processor viewpoint the 'indirectly translatable' attributes should be processed as translatable only if the processor knows how to switch filter and do a secondary parsing to look for translatable parts in the format of the given value/content, and that may or may not result in strings to translate.

I think it would be better to *not* to list the "indirect" translatable
attributes + content, and just have translatable attributes, that is
what you specify as "directly translatable".

If we drop the indirect translatable attributes, processors still can
work with them in their non ITS2 manner. But I don't see the time to
clearly define the concepts "indirect vs. direct". So I'd rather drop
this separation and see if we get stability for it in ITS2.x.

If we add that separation now, we will have ITS2 "Translate" (format
agnostic), ITS2 in HTML5 "Translate" in two different manners (indirect
vs. direct), and "Translate in HTML5". We should try to at least drop
the "in two different manners" part.