Re: issue-51 too many global rules

Hi Dave, all,

Am Montag, 8. Oktober 2012 schrieb Dave Lewis :

> [...]
> selection overrides.
>
> However, this provenance characteristic means they are more likely to be
> annotating a static document, i.e. a document submitted to the localsiation
> workflow (including disambiguation on the source). Therefore the ability of
> global rules to provide a convenient way of annotating sets of nodes with a
> single ITS declaration is not so vulnerable to changes in the document
> structure that renders the selectors inaccurate.
>
> In contrast the internationalsiation/instructional data categories
> (Domain, LocaleFilter, external resource, target pointer, preserve space,
> allowed characters, storage size, id value) are applied in a setting where
> the document may still be under structural and content change - so using
> global rule to assign value to specific sets of nodes is not good practice
> there.
>
> I can see the use of global rules for convenient node selection (and for
> attribute selection as Yves points out) as being useful therefore for
> QualityIssue, Quality Precis, transRevisionAgentProveance,
> transAgentProvenance and standoff provenance.
>
> I don't see global rules as useful in this respect for disambiguation,
> text analysis and mtconfidence score. These will always be applied to
> specific terms or segments, and may involve values generated with some
> context awareness so the same words/phrases won't have the same values, and
> also will often not have an existing selectable element enclosing it -
> making global selectors less useful (apart form perhaps the XLIFF case).
>
> I find the issue of using global rule for associating ITS semantics with
> existing mark-up a bit more difficult to ponder, as my knowledge of that
> existing mark-up is perhaps complete. However, I'd observe that for these
> provenance related data categories, they are applied in processes within
> LSP or clients expecting results from LSPs. So with the exception of XLIFF
> cases, rather than adding complexity of global rules, we could take a more
> assertive stance that implementations should adopt ITS, rather than support
> co-existence with other (as yet unknown) mark-up. though i don't
> necessarily advocate this, I'd point out that it might have more chance of
> success  than for the 'internationalization' data categories, where we have
> to deal with variety and volatility in mark-up caused by people who won't
> be easily persuaded by pleas for standardization to support downstream
> localization processes.
>
> The result of this line of reasoning would be to actually _remove_ the
> pointer attributes from global rules _and_ local selectors for:
> QualityIssue, Quality Precis, transRevisionAgentProveance,
> transAgentProvenance and standoff provenance, as well as for
> disambiguation, text analysis and mtconfidence - even while we otherwise
> keep global rules for the first group to support convenient node selection.

Just for clarification: what do you mean by "local selectors" in "_remove_
the pointer attributes from global rules _and_ local selectors"?

Also, wrt to "support convenient node selection": for e.g. "quality issue",
we currently have this example for a global rule:

<its:locQualityIssueRule selector="//span[@id='q1']"
locQualityIssueType="typographical" locQualityIssueComent="Sentence without
capitalization" locQualityIssueSeverity="50"/>

Is it really convenient to have such a rule? You will need masses of them,
for each "id" attribute value one. Who would ever write such rules?
About your argument about having global rules:
"For instance using translation provenance revision agent global rule to
say all nodes with class="legal" were postedited by translator A and all
with class="technical" by translator B. Exceptions (e.g. due to
re-postediting) can then be easily implemented by local selection
overrides. "
Is it realistic that the chunks that are postedited are easily identified
by certain class attributes? If yes then the "chunk" mechanism has a use
case - but you could also have editing support that automatically inserts
 the related local markup in the chunk touched.

My main point is maybe: will we get people to write such rules, except the
"per document format" case Yves' mentioned? It is nice to have the
mechanism, but global rules writing is a huge effort and needs quite some
knowledge about XPath etc.

Wrt to ITS and XLIFF, you wrote "So with the exception of XLIFF cases":
that case meant global rules + pointers, no? Or how would you realize
XLIFF+ITS then?

--
Felix Sasaki
DFKI / W3C Fellow