Re: [All] new issue: propose to drop genre, purpose and register data category proposals

Dear all,

I've been involved in genre- and web-genre-related research from 2000 until ca. 2008. As far as I know, there is neither a clear or shared definition of what "genre" (or "style" or "register", for that matter) actually refers to, nor a clearly defined set of actual values. We've tried a couple of times to assemble a community that defines a set of values for the concept of genre but all of these attempts have, long story short, failed. One of the main problems is that "genre", "register", "domain", "text type" and a few other terms are used arbitrarily and interchangeably by the community even though they are completely different concepts.

If you want I could approach Marina Santini who is generally regarded as the main person in this field and who is still involved in genre and web genre research. I'm sure Marina would give a short statement in Dublin with regard to that topic.

Best,
Georg

--
Dr. Georg Rehm
Network Manager META-NET

DFKI GmbH, Alt-Moabit 91c, 10559 Berlin, Germany
Phone: +49 30 23895-1833 – Fax: -1810
Mobile: +49 173 2735829
georg.rehm@dfki.degeorg.rehm@meta-net.eu
Deutsches Forschungszentrum für Künstliche Intelligenz GmbH
Firmensitz: Trippstadter Strasse 122, D-67663 Kaiserslautern
Geschäftsführung: Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. mult. Wolfgang Wahlster (Vorsitzender), Dr. Walter Olthoff
Amtsgericht Kaiserslautern, HRB 2313