Re: XPath Version

On Wed, 2012-05-02 at 07:50 +0200, Jirka Kosek wrote:
> On 2.5.2012 0:59, Shaun McCance wrote:
>
> > You can have ITS 1.0 rules interpreted differently by two different
> > ITS 1.0 processors, because one of them chooses to exercise the "or
> > its successor" clause of ITS 1.0.
>
> So are we talking about ITS 2.0 or "fixing" ITS 1.0?

I was only trying to point out a potential issue in 1.0 so that
it can be avoided in 2.0. ITS 2.0 should use either XPath 1.0 or
2.0, or it should have a way to specify which version is in use.

> > My understanding (from a cursory reading) is that you must apply the
> > schema if available to create the PSVI, which applies types to nodes.
>
> No. If there is no schema, XDM is built without any type information,
> see http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath-datamodel/#const-infoset

I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing. Whether there is
a schema is up to the content creator. I didn't mean to imply that
XPath 2.0 requires people to create schemas or associate them with
their documents.

But if a document does have a schema associated, it must be read.
Or am I wrong? Can I write a conformant XPath 2.0 implementation
without the ability to read XSD files?

--
Shaun