Re: [All] domain data category section proposal, please review

Felix,

Thanks for your proposal for domain category, which I think outlines the
best approach for dealing with the complex domain category so good job!

The data category agnostic approach makes more sense, and allows for more
flexibility, particularly for existing commercial MT service providers who
will already have their own list of pre-defined domain categories. I am not
too familiar with DCR so I dont feel qualified to comment on Arle's
suggestion. o

Using Dublin Core, however, is a good pointer to use due to its fairly wide
adoption (on this - is it worth providing a URL to the relevant Dublin Core
content?) - I know that many MT systems that do implement domain metadata
do so using high-level domains either taken directly from Dublin Core or
adapted from it (e.g. I think the LetsMT project use dublin core as a
starting point for defining domain).  One thing to keep in mind is that the
proposal should be as clear and concise as possible. In terms of providing
pointers to what codes people can use, I think we are better off limiting
this as promoting interoperability is key and providing a list of
alternative implementation strategies may over-complicate things.

It is good to emphasise the optional domainMapping attribute, and I would
perhaps add to the paragraph concerning the explanation of domainMapping
that although optional, it is recommended that details for the attribute be
provided. For our implementation, I expect to carry out something similar
to Thomas - create a mapping from the provided domain metadata to domains
that are available for our trained systems.

typo: "In source content... " -> "In the source content..."
      "no agreed upon set of value sets" -> "no agreed upon value sets"

Declan

--
Dr. Declan Groves
Research Integration Officer