Note on its:term

From: Arle Lommel <arle.lommel@dfki.de>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 17:27:56 +0100
To: Multilingual Web LT Public List <public-multilingualweb-lt@w3.org>
Hello all,

We got a request today from Christian Lieske in the XLIFF Inline Markup SC call to see if its:term could be expanded in its applicability to allow for pointers to non-textual content. E.g., Christian said he would like to be able to point to a graphic or sound file as a reference for a term. In addition, the XLIFF mrk (type=term) allows for embedding definitions, something currently not allowable with its:term. Making this change would help draw us closer closer to what XLIFF allows and let us add some sophistication to the terminology model.

Perhaps Christian can elaborate his ideas a bit, but I wanted to get this on record for the update of term in ITS 2.0. I believe at this point if this were to move forward, we'd need to look for implementations that could add and use a definition attribute.

Best,

Arle