Re: [all] Call for consensus: Preserve Space

On Wed, 2012-07-11 at 18:27 -0400, Shaun McCance wrote:
> The Preserve Space data category is used to indicate how whitespace
> should be handled in conent. The possible values for the Preserve
> Space data category are "default" and "preserve" and carry the same
> meaning as the corresponding values of the xml:space attribute.

The default value is "default".

> The Preserve Space data categor can be expressed with global rules,
> or locally using the standard xml:space attribute.
>
> GLOBAL: The preserveSpaceRule element contains the following:
>
> * A required selector attribute. It contains an XPath expression
> which selects the nodes to which this rule applies.
>
> * A required space attribute with the value "default" or "preserve".

Still interested in people's opinions on the HTML/CSS questions
below, but at the least, we should probably add something like:

For HTML documents, implementations MUST use "preserve" as the
default value for pre elements and their descendants.