Re: Re: [ACTION-160] (related to [ACTION-135] too) Summarize specialRequirements

Hi Yves, all,

thanks a lot for the explanation about charclass, that is very helpful.

I am a bit worried that with "forbidden characters" we might end up with
similar problems: each tool later in the chain can use its own regular
expression mechanism.

This again brings me to ... schematron: if you have schematron with XPath
2.0 (e.g. a processor like saxon), the checking of "only katakana
characters" is very simple, see
http://www.xmlschemareference.com/regularExpression.html
\P{Katakana}
since "Katakana" is a fixed code block in Unicode.

I understand your argument about what currently you do the checking later
in the chain. But what about doing the checking earlier, with schematron,
and then just passing the results to the application(s)? That is, using my
example from before

<schema xmlns="http://purl.oclc.org/dsdl/schematron">

   <pattern>

      <title>Display length</title>

      <rule context="gui">

         <assert test="string-length() &lt; 35">The length of the string in

the "gui" element should be less than 35 characters.</assert>

      </rule>

   </pattern>

</schema>

You would do the checking on the original content, and then just pass the
error message "The length of the string in

the "gui" element should be less than 35 characters." to your application.

The benefit of this approach is that there will be no interoperability
problems about about "what regex syntax has been used" etc. Another benefit
is that you can get content creators at least from the XML realm to provide
and use these schematron files. To accomodate the "testing later" scenario,
that of course requires re-serialization of the content. But you have to do
that anyway at some point.

I think that approach would be a higher implementation effort for you,
Pedro and others since you'd have to implement the "passing schematron
output through the pipeline" part. That's probably more difficult than
passing the various pieces of metadata that we are discussing here.
Nevertheless these pieces might lead to more interoperability problems than
we can think of now.

--
Felix Sasaki
DFKI / W3C Fellow