Re: ACTION-161 "Talk to shaun about BCP47 compatibility"

On Sun, 2012-07-08 at 18:38 +0200, Felix Sasaki wrote:
> Hi Shaun,
>

> with
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-multilingualweb-lt/2012Jul/0010.html
> as a basis, at
> http://www.w3.org/2012/07/05-mlw-lt-minutes.html#item13
> we discussed autoLanguageProcessingRule.
>

> One aspect that came up was whether this should be specific to
> transliteration - Yves mentioned that you have implemented this not
> only for transliteration, but also for machine translation.

As Yves pointed out already, I don't have this implemented. It's
just something that I brought up as a possibility on the ITS IG
mailing list last year:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-its-ig/2011Apr/0004.html

With respect to the "t" extension, my understanding is that it
identifies already localized content. The first example in the
RFC is "ja-t-it" to mean "Japanese translated from Italian".

I'm interested in marking how the source content ought to be
translated, not marking how the translated content was done.
(I'm actually personally only interested in transliteration,
but I recognize that it's a subset of a larger problem that
should have a more generic solution.)

Please correct me if I've misunderstood the "t" extension.

Aside: I haven't since pushed for this data category because
my translators were less enthusiastic about it than I thought
they'd be. I think I didn't do a good enough job explaining
how it would reduce their workload. Then again, translation
memory probably hides most of the work anyway.

--
Shaun