Re: [ISSUE-33]Re: [All] domain data category section proposal, please review

2012/7/5 Dave Lewis <dave.lewis@cs.tcd.ie>

>  OK. that one is fairly straightforward, as the reference is to meta-data
> in an existing standard format in the document. It would just require part
> of the test suite specifying workflow domain to MT engine mappings, e.g.
>     auto->MT1
>     medicine->MT2
>     law->MT3
> and perhaps for good measure:
>     medicine AND law->MT4
>
> I was thinking more of Arle suggestion to a dumb pointer to a document
> with a set of translation job parameters for example, in a LINPORT format.
> Do we want to test suite to require correct parsing of this external file
> and then have so checking criteria for the correct behaviour in the output
> of the translation process?

You mean for the "translation parameter" suggestion? One reason for me to
oppose that suggestion that interoperability is really hard to achieve,
which is shown by your test suite question: "which parameters, which format
for the parameters, etc.?"
So I'd rather encourage implementors to team up to develop solutions
together, and when we document them - as part of ITS 2.0 or a best practice
document. We will need to fix ITS 2.0 in November anyway, and when have a
year to do testing, best practices documentation etc.

> [...]
>>> is out the door. For example, if we define process trigger very well, we
>>> will release the specification and immediately we will discover that there
>>> was some relevant usage scenario we did not consider that therefore cannot
>>> be covered by the values we have. We discussed adopting the "standards as
>>> database" approach being taken by ISO TC 37 (hence my frequent references
>>> to the ISO Data Category Repository in the past few week).
>>>
>>>  After discussion with Felix, however, we (Felix and I) see a solution:
>>> our work is not to define the permissible values for most of this metadata.
>>> Rather we provide a mechanism to point to the values people are using, as
>>> we discussed with domain. This is the "glue" idea Felix mentions. That sets
>>> aside the issue of *where* to define the values to support interoperability
>>>

>>  This of course only makes sense if there are already values being used.
>> From Thomas and Declan I think this is the case for MT systems. In other
>> words, we should not define new data categories saying that they are on the
>> "glue" level and that some day they might play a rule in bringing systems
>> together. For a new data category fulfilling this "glue" purpose, there
>> needs to be implementations - two, as usual - that can make use of it.
>>
>>  Best,
>>
>>  Felix
>>

>>>  , but by focusing on just the glue it simplifies our implementation
>>> requirements and testing greatly. So, for example, Pedro could post the
>>> ontology of process trigger he is using and point to it in the
>>> implementation with his partners, thus fulfilling the requirement for
>>> implementation of the data category. But we do *not* need to agree and
>>> standardize as a group on the possible values, a task that would make our
>>> project exponentially more difficult and unwieldy, and we do not need to
>>> implement specific values for the data category.
>>>
>>>  To take another example, in the quality data categories, this
>>> principle means we would not define a quality metric ourselves, but rather
>>> ways to point and reference external quality metrics.
>>>
>>>  So we need to keep this principle in mind for the complex data
>>> categories: in most cases, we are defining *reference mechanisms*, not *
>>> content/values*. We simply need to provide a way to point to the work
>>> of others (either standardized or proprietary). If we are getting into any
>>> sort of prescriptive description of what people *should or should not*be doing, we are exceeding our mandate.
>>>
>>>  Best,
>>>
>>>  Arle
>>>

>>>  On Jul 4, 2012, at 12:21 , Felix Sasaki wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks, and I very much agree. Arle recently told me that there was a
>>> discussion at the ISO meeting in Madrid about whether MLW-LT will define or
>>> refer to data categories, as provided by DCR. I would go the same route as
>>> for domain: in these areas there is already a lot of existing metadata. ITS
>>> 2.0 can serve "as a glue" to make it easier to use the metadata in various

--
Felix Sasaki
DFKI / W3C Fellow