Re: [All] domain data category section proposal, please review

2012/7/4 Dave Lewis <dave.lewis@cs.tcd.ie>

>  comments inline -
>
> On 04/07/2012 05:45, Felix Sasaki wrote:
>
> Hi Dave,
>
> 2012/7/4 Dave Lewis <dave.lewis@cs.tcd.ie>
>
>>  Hi Felix,
>> One question on the domainMapping example you give for the domain data
>> category. This assumes the workflow has a single canonical set of IDs
>> identifying 'auto', 'medicine', 'law', but this may not always be the case,
>> e.g. where SMT engines are trained on a mix of parallel data with their own
>> separate corpora domain naming schemes.
>>

>  Couldn't you accomodate that by having several domainRule elements?
>

> I don't think so since there's nothing in the domainRule that indicates
> that the simple target names are in different name spaces.

Well, the ITS general mechanisms allow to have different rules for the same
kind of content, exactly for that purpose: that there are different
metadata items for the same purpose. So you can have
<its:translateRule selector="//code" translate="no"/>
<its:translateRule selector="//code" translate="yes"/>
and the second rule comes into effect, since it's the last rule (like CSS
stylesheets). So you can describe a best practice, rather than changing the
definition of "domain", for using different, vendor specific sets of
mappings.

>   So a simple naming scheme means that the workflow provider must ensure
>> consistency of that scheme and that the document editor (often the client)
>> has knowledge of that scheme.
>>
>> So could the data category  as is accommodate multiple naming schemes
>> (e.g. from the client and from third parties) within the workflow by simply
>> using a URL instead of a simple name?  e.g.
>>
>> domainMapping="automotive auto, medical medicine, 'criminal law' http://www.taus.org/domain/law, 'property law' http://www.client.com/domain-names/law"
>>
>>   This has to be answered by Thomas and Declan, I think: they (and one
> external provider) agreed on the simple scheme. I'm fine with introducing
> URIs, but we need implementations making use of them.
>

> Yes, Thomas, Declan advice appreciated.

I would go further here: without a commitment from them to implement the
URI mechanism, we shouldn't go that route. Declan mentioned in his
contribution
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-multilingualweb-lt/2012Jun/0152.html
that dublin core plays an important role in here - but you only will need a
URI to refer to dublin core in general, not to the keywords themselves.

> To make this example a bit concrete, with domains used in MT training, I
> can easily see cases where the mapping have to accomodate one domain scheme
> that is specific to the client, one that is used by the LSP across clients
> and one relevant to an MT service provider that could be influenced by the
> range of existing training corpora they have.
>
> Reconciling this into a single name space for each workflow instance would
> be onerous for all parties and wouldn't be that helpful for any of the
> parties if they operate with multiple clients/providers. In settings where
> you have one large client working all the time with a fixed set of
> providers, then establishing a common set of domain names would make sense.

I see your issue of conflicting metadata for the same piece of content,
however I think the general rule mechanism is also a solution for that, as
stated above.

Another issue with using domains pointers to web content, see e.g.
http://www.w3.org/International/multilingualweb/lt/drafts/its20/examples/xml/EX-domain-2.xml
the metadata is a list of keywords. Requiring to have a URI will create a
conflict when people want to use this existing data. And again, from
Declan's and also Thomas'
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-multilingualweb-lt/2012Jun/0141.html
contributions, it seems that existing MT systems often use lists of
keywords. You would make it hard for these systems to use the data
category.

> By the way Felix, i like the way the mapping feature provides a path to
> accomodating conventions as direct meta declaration. That's a pattern that
> we might consider in some other cases for document level meta-data.

Thanks, and I very much agree. Arle recently told me that there was a
discussion at the ISO meeting in Madrid about whether MLW-LT will define or
refer to data categories, as provided by DCR. I would go the same route as
for domain: in these areas there is already a lot of existing metadata. ITS
2.0 can serve "as a glue" to make it easier to use the metadata in various
systems.

--
Felix Sasaki
DFKI / W3C Fellow