Re: [ISSUE-33] Re: Input for ACTION-139 (Check options for test suite design) and ACTION-145 (Think about a round tripping test suite data package)

Hi Dave,

2012/7/4 Dave Lewis <dave.lewis@cs.tcd.ie>

> Hi Felix,
> As we've already touched on there are a number of things to consider in in
> the test suite design, so I create ISSUE-33 on this.

Thanks, that's very useful.

> Looking at this general test suite, it was clear what the benefits were
> supposed to be. Is it primarily to ensure that test suites are archived
> centrally by the W3C rather than being left solely to the WG, and thus
> subject to decay once the WG expires?

The test suite maintenance can be taken over by another WG. Even if not
maintained it will be publicly available, see e.g the ITS 1.0 test suite.

> This is surely a good idea in general. But is the W3C format sufficient
> for more 'active' tests, i.e. ones that use code/scripts to test behaviour,
> e.g. of input vs output? Will we be at liberty to extend the basic format
> they define?

I think we need a volunteer to answer this question. LT-Web hat on: that
would be TCD's deliverable. Would you or probably somebody else from TCD
have the resources to explore the test suites issues? WRT my action items,
for the package I think we need input from the working group, but there
needs to be somebody who gathers that input.

If TCD will work on this, would the test suite design a suitable topic for
the September meeting?

--
Felix Sasaki
DFKI / W3C Fellow