Re: [all] Discussion on proposed metadata categories: approvalStatus

Hi Phil,

On 26/04/2012 07:18, Phil Ritchie wrote:
> I have some thoughts on this but won't get to articulate them until
> tomorrow (over worked).
>
> In general LSP's would be used to getting content ahead of final
> publication and then incrementing revisions up until publication date.
> Note the process that we had for our own press release!
>
> I'm not sure dictating a start date to an LSP is beneficial. Each
> sub-process should surely be a black box.

I agree, the semantics of 'ready-at' should not dictate the start time
of the process. The intention is that it merely indicates the point at
which the content is *ready* to be submitted to the process specified in
'requested-process'.  If would be down to the service provider to manage
the internal scheduling of the work. The constraint applied should be
the 'completed-by' - but that standard practice I guess.

If its a time stamp that already past, it indicates that the content is
ready. I imagined this might be more useful than just a 'yes/no' ready
flag, since the process providers (typically the LSP) knows how much of
their lead time has passed.

If its a time in the future, it gives an estimate of when the content
will be ready, again this may be useful for enabling LSPs to plan their
work schedule.

> Therefore less granular categories and perhaps more values might be
> the way to go. More later.

Yes, this is a key issue. Again this data category only specified the
_next_  process as visible via the document held in a CMS or a staging
cache. If the process involves a number of steps before being returned
to the CMS/cache (e.g. by being passed around various tools using
XLIFF), I imagined this is opaque, and just treated as a single process
in the 'requested-process' category.

Whether we then need to define the process steps within the process is
an interesting issue. Maybe the client doesn't care, but if they will
want visibility into execution history and quality of the steps via the
proveance data category, then some way of defining a composite process,
i.e some flow of process sub steps, would be needed. I'm not clear on
what depth of detail is needed here though - would just a sequence of
steps suffice?

talk to you later,
Dave