RE: I18N-ISSUE-246: Clarify character encoding behavior when calculating storage size [ITS-20]

From: Yves Savourel <ysavourel@enlaso.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 14:35:06 -0600
To: <public-multilingualweb-lt-comments@w3.org>, "'www-international'" <www-international@w3.org>
> "An application consuming the storage size information is
> encouraged to assume utf-8 as the default encoding.

I'm not sure I understand. Using UTF-8 as the default must be normative.
If there is no encoding specified the ITS processor assumes its UTF-8. Otherwise there is no way to be sure about the encoding value.

What would be non-normative would be the fact that UTF-8 should always be supported by the application using the data category.

So maybe something like this: "An application consuming the storage size information is encouraged to support at least utf-8." added to the text Stephan proposed for the other issues related to Storage Size?

-ys