[ISSUE-109]: disambiguation ITS 2.0 requirements w.r.t Indian [Indic] languages [ACTION-418]

Hi Somnath,
I wanted to update you of the status of ISSUE-109, related to
disambiguation.

We discussed this at the WG face to face meeting last week, see:
http://www.w3.org/2013/01/23-mlw-lt-minutes.html#item37.

The consensus was that hierarchical annotation for disambiguation was
difficult to achieve technically. As you point out, ITS override rule
mean that any hierarchical annotation has to be supported explicitly
with special attributes. However, doing this in a generic way is
difficult  as we may also need to support multiple different annotations
of the same text, and therefore map sub-annotations to specific parent ones.

You may have seen that there has been extensive discussion on
potentially merging the terminology and disambiguation data categories:
http://www.w3.org/2013/01/24-mlw-lt-minutes.html#item03
and
https://www.w3.org/International/multilingualweb/lt/track/issues/68

At the meeting we asked the experts involved is considering technical
solutions to this to also address your hierarchical annotation
requirement, but this yielded no usable technical solution.

We therefore propose to reject this suggested change.

We would however point out  that the external NIF encoding (see
http://nlp2rdf.org/) would be better suited to capturing such
hierarchical annotations. We would welcome you input therefore in
formulating best practice for the use of ITS with external NIF models.

Please let us know if you are satisfied with this response.

I look forward to hearing from you.
Regards,
Dave Lewis