Re: Proceeding with [Core] via email discussion (Was Re: Postponed beginning for [Education], agenda for [Core])

Crispin,

Comments in-line.

Jeff

On 12/24/2014 4:00 AM, Crispin Weston wrote:
> Dear jeffe,
>
> First, my belated apologies for missing the call on 18 December. I'm
> afraid I became confused about the two groups - entirely through my
> own fault.

I think we're OK here!  The 18th was the kickoff call for [Core].  I
thought you were more interesting in [Education} which doesn't kick off
until next year.

> Second, I realise that I am joining an existing conversation, so it
> may not be particularly helpful if I introduce a completely new
> direction. However - here goes!
>
> Having been involved in formal standardisation in the UK's BSI,
> ISO/IEC JTC1/SC36 and CEN, I welcome the emphasis on the developers'
> perspective - something that tended to be missing from these
> organisations.
>
> However, what is being proposed with the Application Foundations
> strikes me as being a sort of developer's toolkit or library. While I
> do not doubt that many would find this useful, I am not sure:
> 1. why there needs to be a single such library - can't people compete
> in this area?

Yes people can and will compete.  But if it gets in the way of
interoperability then it becomes a detriment.

> 2. in what senses these foundations will be specific to education.

They are not!  Again, the 18th related to [Core].

> [...]
> and analytics. Unless the individual learning activity shares the data
> it requires at launch with the learning management system, and the
> data by which it reports learning outcomes then it becomes meaningless
> in the context of the programme of study. Launch parameters - and in
> some cases the sharing of runtime data - are important because of the
> huge variability of educational contexts (different students,
> different teacher preferences, different learning objectives). The
> reporting of learning outcomes is vital to the job of the teacher, and
> vital too if anyone is to make learning analytics fly.
>
> In the early 2000s, there was a massive effort on formal metadata
> taxonomies to support search and discovery. The theory was that
> teachers had difficulty in finding the correct learning resource. In
> my view, this assumption was wrong - teachers had no trouble finding
> resources - their problem was in deploying them in the classroom.
> Similarly, it strikes me that the assumption of this group is that
> developers are having trouble developing good apps and again, I am not
> sure this is right. Development has never been easier. It is the
> automatic plug-and-play integration that is the problem.
>
> Another way of visualising this problem is by comparison with business
> software. Businesses tend to use very sophisticated and expensive
> software suites (e.g. Oracle, SAP) which command monopoly prices and
> either ensure good in-house integration, or rely on large budgets for
> consultants to effect bespoke integration. Education's requirement for
> interoperability and integration is every bit as acute as business',
> but they do not have the money to afford either the costs of closed,
> proprietary systems, or for bespoke integration work.
>
> My proposals for priorities are therefore:
>
> 1. A schema description language that would allow developers to
> declare their data models in a way that allowed the sharing and
> piggy-backing off different schemas. The problem is not a technical
> one of sharing data - but making semantic sense of that data. So
> interoperable software needs to be able not only to read the schema
> but to understand which parts of that schema map to data that it
> already understands and can use.
>
> 2. Management of privacy is a prerequisite for good data sharing. What
> I think is needed in this area is not a set of rules (which will vary
> across jurisdictions) but a data handling description language - an
> ability to codify in machine-readable format the sort of processes and
> commitments that a parent might agree to in a human-readable consent
> form, or which might be encapsulated in a regulatory instrument. This
> will not only provide clarity and the ability to discuss difficult
> issues (e.g. around anonymisation of data) but will also allow
> software to help enforce such procedures (e.g. this data item cannot
> be sent to that person, or this sensitive data item has expired and

These are good proposals for the education focus.  Please bring them to
the kickoff call that we will have next year.