Re: Chair's Interview Guide

On 1 Oct 2012, at 2:59 AM, olivier Thereaux wrote:

> Hello,
>
> As mentioned in our previous calls, here is a proposal for an chairs interview guide. It is not meant to be a strict questionnaire, but more of a frame for the interview.
>
> I have tested the questions on a very willing guinea pig (Virginie), and they seem to be ok - could always be refined a bit but usable enough. Both Virginie and I are keen to interview a few chairs at TPAC.
>
> The questions:
>
> • Tell me about your WG(s).
>  (Clarification question: size, activity, history, specific challenges)

I think the first question may be too broad. I do think asking what the biggest challenges to getting work done is a good idea. Maybe not as the first question.

> • How long have you been chairing the group?
> • Do you have a weekly routine as group chair? Can you walk me through it?
> • As group chair, what is your most repetitive task?
> • If you meet a newly appointed chair, not very well versed in the art, what anecdote would you tell him/her?
> • What is is the most challenging part of your role as chair? [Make sure to follow up with a clarification, let them develop this.]
> • What is the thing you learned as a chair, that you most wish you'd been taught earlier?
> • Do you know about the chair's Guidebook? Have you ever used it? Was there anything in there you really found useful? (anything you'd like to improve?)
>
> There are also a few "vanilla" questions which can be used to dive deeper into a given question, such as:
> • Have you talked to other chairs about this?
> • Did anyone help you with this?
> • How did/do you (usually) deal with such a situation?
>
> I reckon this would make for a 30-ish minutes conversation.
>
> Next: choosing / calling for interview candidates. Maybe we can talk about this during our call today?

How about we ask these questions in a breakout session and treat it like a focus group?

So the "agenda" of the breakout session might be:

  10 mins: Goals of project
  35 mins: Ask those questions
   5 mins: Summary of what we heard.

Ian