Re: W3C mobileOK Checker API

On 08/19/2011 10:14 AM, Dominique Hazael-Massieux wrote:
> Hello Al,
>
> Le jeudi 18 août 2011 à 12:35 +0100, Yaros, Al a écrit :
>> I would like to know if there is already a way or you are intending to
>> expose the  W3C mobileOK Checker via web service or other API method
>> that allows automatic tools to use your service. In case it is
>> relevant I am also willing to write such code and contribute it to the
>> community.
>
> I know that the checker exposes such an API (for integration with our
> validation framework Unicorn [1]), based on a custom XML format [2]. My
> colleagues François who would be able to give more details on the end
> point for that service is not available until Aug 29.

I don't have much to add. The mobileOK Checker returns an XML response when called with an "output=unicorn" query parameter.

The code that reacts to this parameter is in:
- RequestParameters.java [1]: detects the query parameter
- TesterHttpServlet.java [2]: based on detected query parameter, calls the right XSLT to convert the response returned by the mobileOK Checker  library
- xslt/mobileokresults2unixorn.xsl [3]: converts the response returned by the mobileOK Checker to a Unicorn response.

> That being said, for use of the service by automatic tools, we would
> probably want to make sure first that such tools wouldn't overload the
> service (or look into making separate arrangement for the said tools).

Indeed.

Francois.

[1] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2009/mobileok-servlet/src/org/w3c/mwi/mobileok/basic/servlet/RequestParameters.java?rev=1.5;content-type=text%2Fplain
[2] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2009/mobileok-servlet/src/org/w3c/mwi/mobileok/basic/servlet/TesterHttpServlet.java?rev=1.27;content-type=text%2Fplain