Re: New release of CSS Validator

From: olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 11:08:11 -0400
Cc: "Dominique Hazael-Massieux" <dom@w3.org>, "public-mobileok-checker" <public-mobileok-checker@w3.org>
To: Jo Rabin <jrabin@mtld.mobi>

Hello,

On Mar 13, 2008, at 10:41 , Jo Rabin wrote:
> We don't discuss in mobileOK how to determine the character encoding
> of a CSS file.

If I'm not mistaken, the point of determining the character encoding
is not a test per se, but it's a necessary precondition to reliably
check the style sheet…

I wanted to thank dom for catching the announcement about the new
validator. the dependency of the mobileOK checker on the CSS validator
had drifted off my radar: would you rather get heads-up when we're
about to release next versions?

Speaking of heads up. The MobileOK basic says:
[[
A resource is considered a valid CSS resource if it conforms to the
grammar defined in [CSS]
]] --  http://www.w3.org/TR/mobileOK-basic10-tests/#validity

with [CSS] linking to CSS 1.

This is problematic for a number of reasons:

* CSS1 is being deprecated by the CSS working group as we speak

* The CSS WG has done some great job recently, and is about to release
a new version of their CSS snapshot document, defining CSS (as the CSS
2.1 grammars and the concatenation of properties/values from a number
of specifications).

* The CSS validator, in its upcoming release, will follow that
definition of CSS, by default. It will still be possible to validate
against a specific profile, although the CSS1 profile is at risk, for
reasons stated above.

I think this has a serious impact on MobileOK and its dependencies,
thought you might want to know about it…

Thanks,
olivier

--
olivier Thereaux - W3C - http://www.w3.org/People/olivier/