Re: [Fwd: MobileOK Validator Issues]

From: Sean Owen <srowen@google.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 11:27:22 -0400
To: "Dominique Hazael-Massieux" <dom@w3.org>
Cc: public-mobileok-checker@w3.org

On Sun, Mar 9, 2008 at 6:06 PM, Dominique Hazael-Massieux <dom@w3.org> wrote:
>  The thing is that Xerces is only considering XML DTDs, while HTML 4.x
>  (and previous versions) is based on SGML DTDs, which have more options
>  and a slightly different syntax.
>
>  In general, this explains much of the errors reported... While I think
>  it would be fine not to report the detailed errors for non-XML DTDs, I
>  think we ought not to say that a page in invalid when it is, and I'm not
>  clear how to do that barring including an SGML-validator... (or asking
>  results from the W3C Markup Validator, but which require an online
>  presence).

I see, I didn't even realize that there were XML vs. SGML DTDs.

There is a slightly larger problem here, that we would have a problem
on any DTD that we don't have a copy of, and there could be many. In
this case we should not fail, as we do now. I can change that.

And then I just remove the unused HTML 4 DTDs from the checker.