RE: Default Input Mode Warning

Ok...
But I'm still not connecting how this works.  This is an aspx page.  I'm
putting inputmode="latin digits"... however I get the same warning on
those fields, saying that inputmode is not included.  But then I put a
test <input> field on the page that was not a .NET control.  Like this:

<input type="text" name="testing" inputmode="latin digits" />

On this I get a different Error, and this time it is an error not a
warning:

The document is an HTML document and it fails to validate according to
its given DOCTYPE: Attribute "inputmode" must be declared for element
type "input".

So when it is rendered in the checker somehow .NET is stripping out the
inputmode field before it gets to the client maybe.  I say maybe because
when I view the source in IE, or in Firefox I can see that "inputmode"
attribute the same way I can see it on the 'Testing' <input> field.
Note that I'm using this line in the codebehind:

            if (Request.UserAgent.IndexOf("MSIE") == -1)
                Response.ContentType = "application/xhtml+xml";

I do this because IE doesn't recognize that contenttype.  However
Firefox does, so it would seem to me that the source I see on firefox
should be the same that is getting to the mobilechecker.  Someone want
to set me straight?

And of course how do I declare the attribute 'inputmode'?