Re: Using HEAD rather than GET

Le mardi 23 octobre 2007 à 14:56 -0400, Sean Owen a écrit :
> I had specifically argued that we should always use GET even when HEAD
> is possible since we want to test real-world behavior, and browsers
> will be issuing GETs, and I can imagine some content doing different
> or funny things on a HEAD.

Actually, there is a special provision in mobileOK basic to allow HEAD
for LINK_TARGET_FORMAT, so I think we should use it; anyway, in the
worse case, LINK_TARGET_FORMAT can only generate warnings.

(and real browsers don't do GETs on all the links they find in a page; I
believe some do actual HEADs in some cases)

> If it really is a performance problem, I think we can start by making
> sure the body is not even retrieved on a GET.

If that can be done for images/stylesheets/objects until we know whether
the body is worth retrieving this would be great (although it wouldn't
alleviate the load on the sending server, but that's probably less of a
concern for us and for now)

Dom