W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-mobileok-checker@w3.org > May 2007

[minutes] Tuesday May 22nd Teleconf

From: Dominique Hazael-Massieux <dom@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 16:42:21 +0200
To: public-mobileok-checker@w3.org
Message-Id: <1179844941.8627.70.camel@altostratustier>

Hi,

The minutes of our teleconf today are available at:
http://www.w3.org/2007/05/22-bpwg-minutes.html
and copied as text below.

The following action items were assigned:
[NEW] ACTION: Jo to check the HTTP spec wrt ordering and duplication of
HTTP headers [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2007/05/22-bpwg-minutes.html#action03]
[NEW] ACTION: Jo to update code and examples of moki to be more
consistent [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2007/05/22-bpwg-minutes.html#action02]
[NEW] ACTION: Roland to implement the XSLT-based solution for I18N
[recorded in http://www.w3.org/2007/05/22-bpwg-minutes.html#action01]
[NEW] ACTION: Sean to think about inclusions of code fragments in the
output format and send thoughts to ml [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2007/05/22-bpwg-minutes.html#action04]

Note that I've made the home page of the task force public:
http://www.w3.org/2005/MWI/BPWG/Group/TaskForces/Checker/
and also made sure that the minutes of our previous meetings were
public.

Dom


   [2]mobileOK Basic Reference implementation task force homepage

      [2] http://www.w3.org/2005/MWI/BPWG/Group/TaskForces/Checker/

      mobileOK Basic Reference implementation task force teleconf

22 May 2007

   See also: [3]IRC log

      [3] http://www.w3.org/2007/05/22-bpwg-irc

Attendees

   Present
          abel, roland, Sean_Owen, nacho, dom, miguel, Ruadhan, jo

   Chair
          Sean

   Scribe
          dom

Contents

     * [4]Topics
         1. [5]Error messages
         2. [6]normalization/sorting of headers
         3. [7]Other issues
     * [8]Summary of Action Items
     _________________________________________________________


   Sean: various issues to be discussed raised on the mailing list
   ... nothing else specific I believe
   ... we're all working towards the next milestone
   ... Roland asks a couple of questions on the list
   ... 1st regarding the structure of the output of the current code vs
   what's on the home page

   Roland: indeed
   ... there are discrepancies between moki and what the current code
   outputs
   ... my question is where is the latest version of the moki document

   Sean: there is no real documentation right now
   ... I expect the output and the documetn format are different right
   now
   ... the only real ref is what is produced by the code
   ... we probably should only worry on actual bugs introduced by the
   output document

   Roland: for instance, the part that deals with HTML is in a
   different node than what is described
   ... will send more details to the mailing list

   <Zakim> jo, you wanted to comment on this

   Sean: I intend to follow Jo's format as much as possible, so that
   may be a mistake

   Jo: one of things I intend to do is to complete the documentation on
   the moki format
   ... but I have been delayed with mobileOK LC2 and looking at the
   current code
   ... I'm happy to take care of keeping the doc and the code in sync,
   in an iterative process
   ... the code I checked in this morning adds a couple of things (e.g.
   doctype def)
   ... so it's already more compatible to what the example shows
   ... a few more things needs to be looked at (e.g. utf8 validity
   markup, inferred encoding)
   ... I also need to better understand what TagSoup is doing
   ... I think that's crucial
   ... we already include the original document as base64
   ... but not really useful for debugging; would be better to output
   as escaped
   ... as we go along, we'll probably deviate more and more from
   HTTP-in-RDF, which should probably feed our conversation with Shadi
   on the topic

   <jo> adds that he is not a Java programmer so "caveat emptor"

   Roland: I'll need to update my test moki document, based on this
   discussion

Error messages

   Sean: 2 approaches to report error messages
   ... one based on Java error bundles (?)
   ... introduces a strong dependency on java
   ... but is pretty solid and easy to set up
   ... other option is to use XSLT to get error messages
   ... main concern about this is I18N

   <Zakim> jo, you wanted to wonder if we can export from the java
   messages?

   Sean: wonder if you can transparently pass the user language in that
   case without having the deal explicitly with the language parameter

   Jo: how easy is to generate the XSLT from the Java files?
   ... from dotMobi's point of view, it would be useful to be able to
   rely on the XSLT without the dependency on java

   Sean: main question re XSLT is I18N; does it require keeping the
   language parameter around?

   Jo: [explains a possible solution the scribe didn't manage to
   capture]

   <jo> [jo suggested that the language is specified as a style sheet
   parameter and that the error message file is accessed once in the
   style sheet]

   Sean: that sounds like a good solution; Roland, would you be
   interested to prototype that change?

   Roland: sure, will do

   <scribe> ACTION: Roland to implement the XSLT-based solution for
   I18N [recorded in
   [9]http://www.w3.org/2007/05/22-bpwg-minutes.html#action01]

   <scribe> ACTION: Jo to update code and examples of moki to be more
   consistent [recorded in
   [10]http://www.w3.org/2007/05/22-bpwg-minutes.html#action02]

   <nacho> [we still have to try CVS, dom.. we'll do it tomorrow]

normalization/sorting of headers

   Sean: currently, for sake of readibility, I'm sorting the HTTP
   headers, which Jo has a problem with
   ... it helps testing too
   ... (e.g. to diff output)
   ... does it cause an actual problem?

   Jo: I seem to remember that there are some corners of the HTTP spec
   where the order of headers is significant

   <scribe> ACTION: Jo to check the HTTP spec wrt ordering and
   duplication of HTTP headers [recorded in
   [11]http://www.w3.org/2007/05/22-bpwg-minutes.html#action03]

   Sean: we're already normalizing the headers

   Jo: not in all cases (e.g. values for Date, User-Agent)
   ... we shouldn't do it for Location: either (since case is
   significant there)

   Sean: still, we're already processing quite a bit of the headers of
   ease of access, sorting doesn't much on top of that

   Jo: sure, but may be problematic; for instance, the Host: header I
   think must be first

   Dom: indeed, I think that's true

   Sean: but still not sure whether this affects mobileOK in any
   fashion
   ... although I understand the need to keep this a more generic
   useful framework

   Jo: also Vary headers may be relevant in this case; will check
   further as part of my action item
   ... the Vary header may influence the way we react to a 303 Multiple
   choices

Other issues

   Roland: the structure of the output document should allow for more
   information e.g. when the test fail, allowing to have source code
   fragment that triggered the error

   ->
   [12]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-mobileok-checker/2007
   May/0077.html Roland's message on introducing source code fragment
   that triggered the errors

     [12] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-mobileok-checker/2007May/0077.html

   <jo> [observes that in general we need to think about the output
   format, it's another action I had but haven't done yet :-(]

   Sean: indeed, very good point; any suggestion? That sounds tough

   <scribe> ACTION: Sean to think about inclusions of code fragments in
   the output format and send thoughts to ml [recorded in
   [13]http://www.w3.org/2007/05/22-bpwg-minutes.html#action04]

   Nacho: Abel and Miguel sent this morning their analysis of the
   available tools and libraries for implementing the checker
   ... I would like to encourage everyone to read it, and take part to
   it through google docs

   <jo> what is the URI?

   Nacho: (just send me your gmail account if you want to participate)

   <nacho> [14]http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dhbw7zt7_0f8w6bq

     [14] http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dhbw7zt7_0f8w6bq

   <jo> tx

   Dom: I think we should go through it during our next call; lots of
   useful information and discussion in it

   <jo> [it's a great resource, Nacho et al!]

   <nacho> [thanks, sir :-) ]

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: Jo to check the HTTP spec wrt ordering and duplication
   of HTTP headers [recorded in
   [15]http://www.w3.org/2007/05/22-bpwg-minutes.html#action03]
   [NEW] ACTION: Jo to update code and examples of moki to be more
   consistent [recorded in
   [16]http://www.w3.org/2007/05/22-bpwg-minutes.html#action02]
   [NEW] ACTION: Roland to implement the XSLT-based solution for I18N
   [recorded in
   [17]http://www.w3.org/2007/05/22-bpwg-minutes.html#action01]
   [NEW] ACTION: Sean to think about inclusions of code fragments in
   the output format and send thoughts to ml [recorded in
   [18]http://www.w3.org/2007/05/22-bpwg-minutes.html#action04]

   [End of minutes]
Received on Tuesday, 22 May 2007 14:42:48 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Tuesday, 8 January 2008 14:13:03 GMT