Re: New possible SC: All functionality available in portrait / landscape, OR not?

On 02/05/2019 14:18, David MacDonald wrote:
> Interesting new feature in Android.
>
> "To eliminate unintentional rotations, we've added a mode that pins the
> current orientation even if the device position changes. Users can
> trigger rotation manually when needed by pressing a button in the system
> bar."
>
> I find this interesting because it allows users to override the forced
> orientation. So if the DEV locks orientation this way, it would allow
> the default mode to persist, and most users without disabilities would
> simply turn the device back to portrait, while someone on a wheelchair
> mounted system, could activate the button to change the orientation and
> it would be in the "ugly but functional horizontal view". I could see
> selling this to some corporate customers whereas no locking at all might
> be a non starter.
> https://developer.android.com/about/versions/pie/android-9.0#rotation

Interesting yes, but can't rely on it as other platforms don't have that
(yet). Also, this likely won't work that way for web content, since some
solutions simply check viewport dimensions and show a big "turn your
device" message if the ratio isn't what they want...and that won't be
overridden by this functionality either. And I'd hazard a guess that if
a native app explicitly locks itself to an orientation, this won't
override it either. It sounds like, in essence, the regular "lock screen
orientation" at OS level that we've had in mobile operating systems, but
with an easier button to override it (instead of having to go to the OS
settings)