Re: New possible SC: All functionality available in portrait / landscape, OR not?

> clients will simply not want an "ugly but functional" experience

Then this Success Criteria is no different from other Success Criteria that
involve design changes and companies should consider Accessibility Early on
in their development cycles.

> Chris does this provide gutter space on the right if a portrait app was
turned to Landscape, or does everything reorient including spacing to fill
out the entire width. How easy is it to just keep the portrait view and
throw in the correct black gutter space across dozens of form factors?

This is not reality. If left alone, what you're going to get is the content
rendering completely across this screen, with simply more scrolling
necessary.

The "Design Difficulties" come into play when you have content that you
want rendered to the user without scrolling. There is significant research
that shows that users are X% (all stats are made up) more likely to engage
with things already on screen, and that they won't scroll.

Well coded content, and I'm not gonna lie, I couldn't give a rats patoot
about developers that use absolute, hard coded design layouts. But, well
structured content will render just fine in Portrait and Landscape.
HOWEVER, you end up needing to scroll to more content, because the
Landscape version of that content is going to expand to fill the screen,
and require more scrolling.

As such, research and design aware companies would do things like render
menus to the side and shrink the main content. Or add FABs or trays for
important features that they want to be available and visible to the user
without scrolling.

The content won't be "ugly" unless their developers are morons.

Chris