RE: Question for SC 2.5.4 Concurrent Input Mechanisms

Ps. I did receive my own mail via public-mobile-a11y-tf@w3.org

-----Original Message-----
From: Abma, J.D. (Jake)
Sent: vrijdag 16 februari 2018 10:04
To: public-mobile-a11y-tf@w3.org
Cc: 'Kathy Wahlbin' <kathy@interactiveaccessibility.com>; Detlev Fischer <detlev.fischer@testkreis.de>; 'kim@redstartsystems.com' <kim@redstartsystems.com>; Marc Johlic <marc.johlic@gmail.com>
Subject: FW: Question for SC 2.5.4 Concurrent Input Mechanisms

See a response from Patrick, please also check if the mail also comes from the public-mobile-a11y-tf@w3.org emailaddress as I may be blocked... ?!

-----Original Message-----
From: Patrick H. Lauke [mailto:redux@splintered.co.uk]
Sent: vrijdag 16 februari 2018 10:00
To: Abma, J.D. (Jake) <Jake.Abma@ing.nl>; 'stephen.j.repsher@boeing.com' <stephen.j.repsher@boeing.com>

I was never a fan of that exception. It didn't originally come from me (but can't remember who insisted on it, sadly), and I've been struggling to think of a proper scenario where it would really apply.

I asked about this on multiple occasions back in October last year, but don't think anybody in the group managed to come up with a solid scenario. Even the signature one, to me, is a red herring - why would web content explicitly restrict input mechanisms? To only allow signing using a touchscreen rather than a mouse? It should make no difference to any security aspect (because, frankly, signing with a finger on a touchscreen is usually just as bad as doing it with a mouse...both don't really bear much resemblance to a real signature with a pen on paper).

At a stretch, the signing scenario could be drafted as something like:

- a web application contains a field for the user to provide a signature
- because using a mouse, or finger on a touchscreen, usually results in something that is only vaguely reminiscent of a user's real signature, the web content restricts use of that field only to pen/stylus devices (as their fidelity is high enough to allow the user to approximate their
signature)
- note: in this case, of course, the web application must provide alternative ways for the user to sign (not least in order to satisfy
2.1.1 Keyboard), in case they have no pen/stylus device, their touchscreen device can't differentiate between a stylus or finger, or they're simply keyboard users.

p.s.: i signed myself up to creating the techniques for this (but I lack the time to actually attend our weekly calls due to scheduling). Unless I hear otherwise, I'll get cracking on those.

www.splintered.co.uk | https://github.com/patrickhlauke http://flickr.com/photos/redux/ | http://redux.deviantart.com