Re: The two speech SCs

Hi David,

I understand you're trying to be practical, and thanks for the nice
shepherding of single-key-character shortcuts.

I think the last comment on the other speech SC took it in a good
direction – I just added another comment just now.
https://github.com/w3c/wcag21/issues/68
Thoughts on this direction? It's testable and not tied to any specific
speech input technology.

Cheers,
Kim

On 4/6/2017 6:57 AM, David MacDonald wrote:
> We have two Speech SCs. I think the single key shortcut one is in a
> good position to be accepted. I've amended it to address concerns from
> comments without compromising its requirements.
>
> > Single-character shortcuts are not used to activate a control,
> unless a mechanism is available to turn them off or remap them to
> shortcuts with two or more characters, except on components that are
> closed on page load and single key shortcuts are not enabled until the
> component is opened.
> https://github.com/w3c/wcag21/issues/69
>
> There will probably be some more word smithing as we approach next
> drafts but I think it has a good chance.
>
> The non interference of speech basically says, everything has to work
> with speech. It is difficult to test, and is basically a functional
> requirement which is not in line with normal SCs. Comments on it have
> not been positive. I would like to suggest we withdraw it so as to
> concentrate our attention on those that have a better chance.
>
> Cheers,
> David MacDonald
>
> *Can**Adapt**Solutions Inc.*
>
> Tel:  613.235.4902
>
> LinkedIn
> <http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidmacdonald100>
>
> twitter.com/davidmacd <http://twitter.com/davidmacd>

> /  Adapting the web to *all* users/
>
> /            Including those with disabilities/
>
> If you are not the intended recipient, please review our privacy
> policy <http://www.davidmacd.com/disclaimer.html>

Kimberly Patch
President
Redstart Systems