Re: 48px vs 44px target sizing

David wrote:
> “We've seen studies recommending up to 57px... We went back and forth on 50 px but dropped it to 48px for the very reason you mention regarding Android devs...  Are you recommending further reduction?
> It would make sense for an accessibility standard to take the upper limit not the lower....”

Ideally there would be a well-researched, known minimum size that easily translates into CSS pixels, and the platform standards would all use that.

However, we aren’t there so I think it would help to have a common ‘story’, either:

- It uses the lower end of the platform standards and we can say “use platform standards”.

OR

- It uses something larger than any of the platform standards, so we can say “The platform standards aren’t enough, please make targets bigger”.

Choosing the upper end of the platform standards is messy, it means that some developers don’t have to worry, others do.

So there are three options compared to the platform standards: 1) lower end; 2) upper end; 3) above.

In the case of 2 or 3, there needs to be a good rational for why the platform standard (i.e. iOS) is not large enough.

Sorry that I have probably missed that reasoning, but this is the type of push-back that Alan was talking about so I’m just trying to preempt it!

Cheers,

-Alastair