Re: Inline links with large-enough activation (touch) target (rough idea)

Further, note that the proposed approach (invisibly adding extra padding
to make the *effective* activation target area large, even if the actual
visibly apparent target is small) is conceptually a valid one for more
than just inline links. This gels, for instance, with what the Material
Design guidelines illustrate
https://material.google.com/layout/metrics-keylines.html#metrics-keylines-touch-target-size
(under the "Touch target size" section), where an illustration shows a
relatively small search icon, which however has additional invisible
padding around it to ensure its actual target size meets Google's
48x48dp requirement. So the overall technique itself can also be
applied/demonstrated for things like icons/buttons (hence why I'm loathe
to start dragging further factors/metrics like font size into the game).