Re: Inline links with large-enough activation (touch) target (rough idea)

On 14/11/2016 10:01, Alastair Campbell wrote:
>> a first rough approach at how an author that does care about being touch-friendly while still using inline links could solve it.
>
> I guess the problem I would come across fairly quickly is links overlapping, forking your example:
> http://codepen.io/alastc/pen/aBNgKp
>
> With the browser 1024px wide, the two links in the first paragraph overlap a lot, and the second (bbc) is over the top of the first. They overlap to such an extent that without the green background you wouldn’t realise you were clicking the wrong link.
>
> You could add editorial rules not to put links too close to each other, but in a responsive site that would be really hard to get right.
>
> It is a good idea, but I can’t see how to scale it for CMS driven sites.

Of course this won't magically solve all problems. If a site wants to
pass the SC, they'll need to do more than just slapping these CSS rules
in their site-wide stylesheet and be done with it. However, the
technique demonstrates how inline links can be made to have a large
activation target despite being inline. If content has many inline links
that can and will bunch up too close, then it's a fail of the proposed
SC and the site will need to do something else in order to pass the SC.
A lot of other current and proposed SCs are "hard" to scale to CMS
driven sites...doesn't make the actual problem that the SCs are trying
to solve (in this case, making sure that a user can comfortably and
confidently activate a link/control) go away.