From: ALAN SMITH
Sent: Wednesday, May 11, 2016 11:02 PM
To: Gregg Vanderheiden; Patrick H. Lauke
Cc: GLWAI Guidelines WG org; public-mobile-a11y-tf@w3.org
Subject: Stepping up or down with the next step: New SC relating tonotifications of content change (was Re: Some thinking around the orientationdiscussion)

Gregg,

As always very helpful.

Real world examples prove the user challenges of not telling users of new information or changing information from the selection of different radio buttons or checkboxes.

I still feel that the context of the section these items are in changes drastically depending on which radio button they select.

Using your room analogy, while they may not be stepping into a different room, they need to know if they will be walking down a set of stairs in the room or stepping up a set of stairs in the room with their next step. The context is that immediate.

It sounds like the current acceptable practice is to let them take that first step and find out if they are going up or down.

>From a form example of insurance questions, if they select the Medical insurance radio button as their need, the rest of the questions are a completely different context than if they selected the auto insurance radio button as their need.

I have a strong assertion that we can make webpages technically meet WCAG 2.0 and yet limit or worse hinder the accessibility of the information or interactions on these pages by our disabled users compared to our non-disabled users.

Best,

Alan

Sent from Mail for Windows 10