Re: New SC relating to notifications of content change (was Re: Some thinking around the orientation discussion)

I've started up a rough draft and added all these comments...

https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/mobile-a11y-tf/wiki/Proposed_SC_on_information_added_or_removed_from_a_page

This is an early draft of a new SC. We have to strike the balance between
not being overly prescriptive, and addressing the biggest problem. It is
definitely a problem to have a control changing the content which is above
precedes the control in the Accessibility tree.

Jonathan and Gregg feel this is covered.  I don't remember any sustained
discussion about notifying users of changes on a page in WCAG except
changes in context where the author moves the user focus or as patrick
says, changes in the role state value of an interactive control ...I'm my
reports and training, I've been marking it as a best practice to notify
users of changes to the page, but haven't been logging failures. I'd have
to search through the WCAG 2 minutes archives 2000-2008, but I don't
remember us addressing additions/deletions specifically, and mapping it to
a success criteria. Perhaps I missed a meeting where this happened. It
wasn't very common back then...

I'm still open to the idea it is already covered... If it is, then I think
we have to manage this gap in a11y professionals understanding, including
my own, with some specific failures, techniques and language on the
Understanding
documents...

Cheers,
David MacDonald