Re: Conforming alternative for mobile should not be Desktop

On 29/06/2016 01:14, David MacDonald wrote:
>>>Without knowing what those differences may be, we can’t tell whether
> you’re exemplifying the distinction drawn in the definition, or making a
> case to change it – a major contrast, since the definition is normative.
>
> I'm just using the scenarios almost word for word that Alan used that
> you said would be different functionality and therefore not qualify. I
> personally don't have a problem if the definition changes in 2.1. If
> it's covered great, if its not covered let's plug the hole.
>
> My concern is this scenario:
>
> ... Mobile user who is blind lands on site with his phone. Mobile menu
> is characteristically inaccessible. There is a link at the bottom of the
> page to the desktop view that she doesn't know about, but eventually
> finds. And she is forced to use a heavy link filled desktop view with
> VoiceOver, turning on and off the rotor to chose different elements as
> her swipe down action. While sighted people are happily using the mobile
> view and mobile menu.
>
> Let's say this site conforms to WCAG 2, which is the position of some.
>
> After a few sites like that she runs into some sites where the desktop
> view doesn't conform to WCAG. So all that work to find the desktop link
> is wasted, and after a few more like that she throws up her hands and
> says. "I don't try using desktop view anymore, when they work they are a
> pain, and when they don't I waste my time finding the link"... and
> mobile becomes a lousy experience for them.

So those sites that link to a version which also doesn't conform to WCAG
fail: both the "mobile" and the "desktop" version fail, as the
developers can't claim that their "mobile" version doesn't need to be
accessible since they link to "desktop", since "desktop" is not
accessible, thus can't be counted as an "accessible alternate version".

So in short: "After a few sites she runs into sites that fail WCAG, and
link to a version which also fails WCAG..."