Re: Conforming alternative for mobile should not be Desktop

>>Without knowing what those differences may be, we can’t tell whether
you’re exemplifying the distinction drawn in the definition, or making a
case to change it – a major contrast, since the definition is normative.

I'm just using the scenarios almost word for word that Alan used that you
said would be different functionality and therefore not qualify. I
personally don't have a problem if the definition changes in 2.1. If it's
covered great, if its not covered let's plug the hole.

My concern is this scenario:

... Mobile user who is blind lands on site with his phone. Mobile menu is
characteristically inaccessible. There is a link at the bottom of the page
to the desktop view that she doesn't know about, but eventually finds. And
she is forced to use a heavy link filled desktop view with VoiceOver,
turning on and off the rotor to chose different elements as her swipe down
action. While sighted people are happily using the mobile view and mobile
menu.

Let's say this site conforms to WCAG 2, which is the position of some.

After a few sites like that she runs into some sites where the desktop view
doesn't conform to WCAG. So all that work to find the desktop link is
wasted, and after a few more like that she throws up her hands and says. "I
don't try using desktop view anymore, when they work they are a pain, and
when they don't I waste my time finding the link"... and mobile becomes a
lousy experience for them.

Cheers,
David MacDonald

*Can**Adapt* *Solutions Inc.*