From: Patrick H. Lauke [mailto:redux@splintered.co.uk]
Sent: Tuesday, June 28, 2016 10:21 AM
To: WCAG; public-mobile-a11y-tf@w3.org
Subject: Re: Desktop view should not be conforming alternative to mobile view

On 28/06/2016 14:56, Jonathan Avila wrote:
>> How, exactly? IF a mobile-optimized version omits functionality found in the desktop view, that's not an accessibility problem - it's something that affects all users.
>
> It is if there is no link to the desktop site

If there is no link to the desktop site (or some similar mechanism that achieves the same end result) then it fails point 4 of https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/#conforming-alternate-versiondef

"at least one of the following is true:
a) the conforming version can be reached from the non-conforming page via an accessibility-supported mechanism, or
b) the non-conforming version can only be reached from the conforming version, or
c) the non-conforming version can only be reached from a conforming page that also provides a mechanism to reach the conforming version"

meaning that it doesn't count as an "alternate version", meaning that it can't use the loophole of "yeah but our desktop version is accessible", meaning that it fails all the WCAG 2.0 SCs where it's not accessible.