Summary of 2.1 discussion an attempt at consensus

I'd like to try to come to a temporary resolution:

This thread and it's variations are over 65 emails long. Many of those are
substantive. This represents valuable resources from all parties, and this
is before the wider group and the public even see it.

I think Patrick has successfully communicated his vision so that we
understand what he is trying to accomplish. Also, I think Patrick has
explained that the main reason for the consolidation is to try to make the
standard more elegant, and shorter, rather than change what we are trying
to require.

Jeanne expressed concern that if the standard is perceived as too long, it
will not be accepted, citing UAAG as an example. Chrome has a bug list of
628,000 currently. (1)  I don't think consolidating UAAGs  (approx) 110 SCs
into, say, 60 more complex and obtuse requirements would have changed the
outcome. The UAAG team did a tremendous job and browsers manufacturers are
adopting its recommendations on their own terms.

We have been asked to come up with SCs that address the new reality of
touch screen and small devices. It was a good effort to try to work those
into the bigger picture, and try to solve a whole bunch of other WCAG
issues outside our scope, but I think the consolidation considerations are
super complex and can be handled by the larger group, after we address the
current outstanding comments from the group and get consensus among
ourselves and then the wider group about "what" to put into WCAG 2.1,
rather than "how" we present it.

Patrick, would it be OK if we break this up? We need you, and we appreciate
your expertise.

If our SC proposals are somewhat redundant with current SCs, the entire
group can look at that after we meet our deadline and deliver on our
mandate.

(1) https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/list

Cheers,
David MacDonald