Re: Proposal: expanding/modifying Guideline 2.1 and its SCs (2.1.1, 2.1.2, 2.1.3) to cover Touch+AT

On 15/07/2016 13:41, Detlev Fischer wrote:

> There is however the aria-hidden technique which made this 'work' (sort of) on
> mobile and which is only needed here - without it, the focus would wander off
> into the page below the dialog.

This also applies on "desktop" with AT (where, if you don't hide the
underlying page, users can still navigate to it using heading
navigation, landmark navigation, etc).

  Seen from a testing and authoring view, only if I
> include touch in my a11y baseline would I need to think about such an aria-hidden
> technique (that could be one reason to group it under a separate SC - but having
> said that, I currently find myself sitting on the fence on this issue). Things
> like "apply aria-hidden to background of popup divs" are probably 'repair
> techniques' that would no longer be necessary once mobile AT would honor the
> scripted focus handling (but I am actually not sure this would be desirable).
>
> Getting more cases of 'gaps' will help deciding what might be left for authors to
> do. This is just one example, I'd like to see more. (David, it was your concern -
> do you have others)?

Yes, let's focus on actual hard examples, as we're risking getting
wrapped up in hypotheticals otherwise.