Re: Proposal: expanding/modifying Guideline 2.1 and its SCs (2.1.1, 2.1.2, 2.1.3) to cover Touch+AT

Patrick, I agree that there is probably nothing the author can do to secure the
same behaviour, and agree that these platform specific differences do not mean
that content would not meet WCAG.

Forget also the mention of h3 not being read - that's beside the point here and
only noted to highlight another difference between desktop and mobile experience.

There is however the aria-hidden technique which made this 'work' (sort of) on
mobile and which is only needed here - without it, the focus would wander off
into the page below the dialog. Seen from a testing and authoring view, only if I
include touch in my a11y baseline would I need to think about such an aria-hidden
technique (that could be one reason to group it under a separate SC - but having
said that, I currently find myself sitting on the fence on this issue). Things
like "apply aria-hidden to background of popup divs" are probably 'repair
techniques' that would no longer be necessary once mobile AT would honor the
scripted focus handling (but I am actually not sure this would be desirable).

Getting more cases of 'gaps' will help deciding what might be left for authors to
do. This is just one example, I'd like to see more. (David, it was your concern -
do you have others)?

Detlev

---