Re: Proposal: expanding/modifying Guideline 2.1 and its SCs (2.1.1, 2.1.2, 2.1.3) to cover Touch+AT

I think John's comments can be read in their own light... It is certainly
my feeling also.

For 8 years we've been getting complaints about the length of 1.3.1.
Critics and almost every WCAG commenter has said we should have broken it
up to separate SCs. I am concerned we are going down the same rat hole with
2.1.1 which is already a huge SC. We're not making WCAG any shorter by
lumping it all together, and I would say making functionality working in
all these technologies will requires more than simply using onclick. i.e.,
We've got the infinite scroll issues on mobile with VO, etc... so I'm also
concerned our sufficient techniques are going to have tons of "AND"
 statements joining two or 5 techniques to combine them. I'm also concerned
that some things required in our previous 2.5.1 will get lost if running
AT, a high level layer is lumped in with keyboard a lower layer activity.

I'm worried that my main concern for 2.5.1 that running the system AT will
not bd covered sufficiently because it is buried.

We'd have to explore that before trying to roll everything into one.

We have here an SC aimed at requiring developers to use high level events,
but it has no mention of high level events in the normative SC language. It
relies on the techniques to explain to developers what we are talking
about. That to me is subject to much confusion.

Indie UI was disbanded. Are we going to solve that in WCAG 2.1?  I'd say
the proposal to combine everything a super ambitious,  and perhaps would
may be better suited for Silver. And who knows, by then some manifestation
of Indie UI may have emerged and perhaps User Agents will be on board ....

At the very least, getting all the stakeholders on board and getting the
language right may take up all our bandwidth. I'd rather get the
requirements in the SCs right, get approval, and then think about ways to
economize on the number of SCs, later.

Cheers,
David MacDonald

*Can**Adapt* *Solutions Inc.*