Re: Proposal: expanding/modifying Guideline 2.1 and its SCs (2.1.1, 2.1.2, 2.1.3) to cover Touch+AT

If I get it correctly, David's point is that there are behaviours with current touch+AT that do not (or not sufficiently) map onto keyboard (sequential) access.
He is concerned that we end up with generalised requirements that miss out on specific author guidance that ensure a11y on common mobile OS.

I hope it is consensus that only those things that authors can implement without having to introduce very specific variant solutions targeting particular UA/AT should b considered valid additions to WCAG - whether as additional SC or as modification / generalisation of existing SCs like 2.1. This was Chris' point yesterday - techniques catering to specific sets of UA/AT can make matters worse for other scenarios, plus require a lot of coding effort without being robust.

To make it easier to get to a good solution regaring SCs for WCAG 2.1, I still think it would be useful to collect some examples where sequential access may differ between keyboard navigation and touch-AT sequential navigation. We may then look at these in turn and try to decide whether a difference is really something that UA makers or OS / AT makers need to take care of, or whether it is something that is pertinent enough to set up an author requirement.

I start with Example 1 and hope others will add more examples so we have something to chew on.

---------
Example 1: pop-up dialog ( http://www.3needs.org/en/testing/code/role-dialog-3.html  )
# Keyboard navigation: Dialog can be opened with enter, dialog h3 (linked via aria-labelledby) is announced, the kb focus kept inside dialog and moved back to trigger when dialog is closed.
# Swipe navigation (iOS/VoiceOver): Dialog can be opened with double tap, dialog h3 not read, kb focus is not kept in dialog but moves to browser chrome. But swiping back moves straight to last element in dialog.
# Swipe navigation (Android/TalkBack): Dialog can be opened with double tap, dialog h3 not read, kb focus is not kept in dialog but moves to browser chrome. Swiping back does NOT return to focus last element in dialog.

So there is are differences in terms of sequential navigation. The author advice (via @cookiecrook) to ensure that the AT swiping focus doesn't wander off into the page background was to apply aria-hidden to the rest of the page AFTER moving focus to the dialog div. So this is something that might be captured as an ARIA technique for meeting SC 2.4.3 - but note that even then, on both touch+AT cases there is no way of keeping the focus in the dialog.
---------

Even if the example does not directly address 2.1.1, it makes the point that there are differences regarding navigation when comparing desktop kayboard and sequential touch+AT navigation.

Collecting more such exampes would give us a better handle as to what author requirements are reasonable, and what other issues must be left to improvements of OS/AT or UA.

I think it also ultimately helps deciding whether we need to generalise SCs so they also address non-pointer input or whether we will fare better with separate SCs. Agree?

Best, Detlev

--
Detlev Fischer
testkreis c/o feld.wald.wiese

Mobil +49 (0)157 57 57 57 45
Fax +49 (0)40 439 10 68-5

http://www.testkreis.de
Beratung, Tests und Schulungen für barrierefreie Websites