Re: Proposal: expanding/modifying Guideline 2.1 and its SCs (2.1.1, 2.1.2, 2.1.3) to cover Touch+AT

And we would also have to address the issue that Detlev brought up about
testing.

This amalgamation might turn 2.1.1 into the new 1.3.1.

2.1.1 is already huge in my audit reports...  and functional QA teams would
have to test with keyboard AND Mobile screen readers, AND other
"non-pointer devices", and if a failure is reported, remediation teams will
have to go digging for what went wrong.

I think there are some advantages of a separate 2.5 Guideline to deal with
"pointers".

John Foliot expressed an opinion about SC bloat. He wrote:

"I am not that concerned about “bloat” – the requirements are the
requirements are the requirements. The web as a platform has grown
significantly more complex and sophisticated over the 8+ years since the
original WCAG 2.0, and overall the developer’s toolbox has also grown
exponentially. I don’t think it is unreasonable to then expect that
accessibility requirements have also expanded in direct relationship to the
level of complexity introduced by today’s modern web development
practices...I’d suggest that [SC] filtering could be performed on web sites
and/or within tools, as already demonstrated in the WCAG Quickref – I don’t
think we need to worry about quantity as much as we need to ensure we have
the right number: not too many, but not too few."

https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-gl/2016JulSep/0200.html

Cheers,
David MacDonald

*Can**Adapt* *Solutions Inc.*