Re: Proposal: expanding/modifying Guideline 2.1 and its SCs (2.1.1, 2.1.2, 2.1.3) to cover Touch+AT

I fully get the advantage of changing 2.1 SCs by phrasing the requirements on a more generic level.

However, one concern is that the new wording (whether non-pointer or keyboard equivalent) will make the SC harder to understand for non-techies.

Separating keyboard and other (non-pointer / keyboard equivalent) would make sense in scenarios where the focus is clearly just keyboard - i.e. for clients wanting to test desktop-focused apps that are not meant (or never likely to be) used on touch devices and may offer custom keyboard shortcuts, so that they explictily exclude touch (and any new touch specific SCs) in their a11y support baseline. For these clients, retaining a separate, unchanged SC 2.1 keyboard  would have advantages. (Alternatively there may be touch only systems - think of info kiosk, LCD Panel to control devices - where you just test for touch accessiblity and disregard keyboard.)

In terms of testing, different SCs (by input method) would call for different actions - using the external keyboard, and using touch (testing swipe / double tap).

The final point is granularity. Keeping SCs separate, I can immediately see the respective result per input mode - for example, I might see "this app fully works with KB (one SC) but fails to work with touch/AT (another SC)". The granularity of umbrella SCs like 1.3.1 is a major headache since it means you have to delve into massive test results per page/SC to spot whether the problem was headings, data tables, lists, inline markup, semantic labels, or whatever. That's why many WCAG-based test procedures felt the need to split the SC into several checkpoints. We need to take the comprehensibility and usability of the SCs into account when considering the modification of SCs under Guideline 2.1.

Detlev

--
Detlev Fischer
testkreis c/o feld.wald.wiese

Mobil +49 (0)157 57 57 57 45
Fax +49 (0)40 439 10 68-5

http://www.testkreis.de
Beratung, Tests und Schulungen für barrierefreie Websites