From: Detlev Fischer
Sent: Thursday, February 25, 2016 12:42 PM
To: public-mobile-a11y-tf@w3.org
Subject: Issue of the new Success Criterion 2.5.3 vs. WCAG 3.2.1

Just following the discussion on today's telco about the benefits and disadvantages of having a new Success Criterion 2.5.3 vs. rolling it into WCAG 3.2.1, I see some differences which might be sufficient to justify the sdeparation (but I am not sure ansd just want to discuss this in more detail):

(1) SC 3.2.1 covers operation with or without AT turned on
    SC 2.5.3 presumably focuses on use with touch AT turned on
    (a completely different input paradigm compared to touch
    without AT)

(2) 3.2.1: When tabbing through content, things violating 3.2.1
    just happen on focus - there is no option to revoke the action
    SC 2.5.3 (as I understood it) focuses on enabling users to
    revoke an action if they discover that they made a mistake

(3) So there are two variants in the way 2.5.3 can apply:
    A.  AT is off. Here it would cover being able to move the
        finger out of a control to revoke the action.
        We know from Patrick that this might not work (sticky
        behaviour), but it _can_ work natively (iOS) and also
        on web pages (iOS, Safari) - maybe only if you move the
        finger far enough outside the control.
    B.  AT is on. Here, the typical moment to revoke might be
        that you realise in the middle of a double tap that you
        actually don't want to activate after all, so you don't
        lift your finger in order to prevent the event from being
        fired. We would need to validate with AT users whether
        they actually do that. iOS cancels the double tap when
        you move your finger sideways (which of course can be
        anywhere). If you just leave it resting on screen you get
        a context menu that includes 'Cancel' (but this may be
        3D touch specific)

Not sure whether this is helpful.
Detlev

--
Detlev Fischer
testkreis c/o feld.wald.wiese

Mobil +49 (0)157 57 57 57 45
Fax +49 (0)40 439 10 68-5

http://www.testkreis.de
Beratung, Tests und Schulungen für barrierefreie Websites