Re: MATF Minutes 18 August 2016

On 18/08/2016 17:19, Kim Patch wrote:
>       Accidental Activation -
>       https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/mobile-a11y-tf/wiki/Proposed_revision_of_2.5.3
>
> <Kim> Kathy: we have this almost completed
>
> <Kathy>
> https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/mobile-a11y-tf/wiki/Proposed_SC_Target_Size
>
> <Kim> Kathy: we will pick this up next week. A couple things to think
> about we need some evidence for this to insert. Touch target size Mark
> wrote up, I made edits. I started looking back at research. Couple
> things stood out. Android, Apple use CSS pixels. I put a summary of
> research and touch target sizes people were recommending with minimum.
> Right now we are recommending smaller than what the...
>
> <Kim> ...research is showing. Need to discuss that next week. In
> boneyard there's a link to the summary of research – Patrick had actual
> millimeter size based on devices. I want to challenge the size that
> we've got. Take a look. I made it easy to digest the research –
> summaries are in there under evidence. Look at what I put and think
> about it. We will have to make a decision next week.
>
> <Kim> Mark: easier to check pixels rather than measure millimeters, but
> it seems like millimeter measurement would be easier to follow across
> devices
>
> <Kim> Kathy: if you look at Patrick research if you set a pixel size
> you've got different millimeters for different things
>
> <Kim> Marc: if there's a way to make millimeters rather than pixels –
>
> <Kim> Kathy: but you can't test that way
>
> <Kim> Kathy: Apple went from pixels the point after the retina display
> came out. That's when they changed their recommendations from pixels the
> points. We need to look at this closely.
>
> <Kim> David: I think the 44 and 20 were placeholders
>
> <jeanne>
> https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/mobile-a11y-tf/wiki/Summary_of_Research_on_Touch/Pointer_Target_Size
>
> <Kim> Kathy: it was – we have to finalize this. Look at Fitt law. Lots
> of links all on page.

Note my comments on the pieces of research. In all cases, the sizes
given in those research papers were in millimeters, BUT in a controlled
environment with a single fixed screen size. And as my own examples then
showed, it's simply not possible for authors to guarantee a physical
size of output across all devices, so any measures in millimeters would
be impossible for authors to determine, AND for auditors to test
properly (as changing the device they test on would affect the PASS/FAIL
outcome).

IF this group was to define target sizes in millimeters as measured on
screen, we would set the SC up for being contested by authors and
auditors alike (and I for one would definitely NOT be supporting it in
that form, which is one of the main reasons why I joined this group ;) )