Re: Draft minutes from 21 Apr 2016 Teleconforence

Probably crossing some streams as I think I emailed some
clarifications/suggestions during/after the call already, but:

On 25/04/2016 15:44, Jonathan Avila wrote:
[...]
> */kathy:/*yes, next one is 2.5.4 - touch target size
>
> */david:/*next week we are sending touch and point 2.5
>
> */kathy:/*Update xx to 44 pixels
>
> */chris:/*looked up action to defend addition of touch trap requirement
> to show that it does not conflict with SC 2.1
>
> */detlev:/*is 2.5.4 just for touch? Patrick brought up question about
> mouse user. Could be smaller than touch.
>
> */kathy:/*Should we separate criteria for pointer target size
>
> */david:/*will get push back on target size for mouse.
> ... users can magnify

The same would be true for touch users, though.

> */detlev:/*as long as we define some sometime -- only site after x have
> to follow this.

[...]

> */jeanne:/*have heard since 2008 that it is an issue for people with
> fine motor skills
>
> */kathy:/*we should get feedback from working group to make sure we can
> get it passed through
>
> */david:/*so much better when you have something to float by them rather
> than having concrete proposal
>
> */jeanne:/*are we asking for authors to finger out what the user might
> be using?

Not necessarily. If there are two minimum sizes defined, one for fine
precision pointers like mouse/stylus (at, say, 22px x 22px) and one for
touch (44px x 44px) then it's up to authors to work out what they want
to do. Simplest solution to satisfy both, IF they're in an environment
where both types of input can be expected, is to satisfy the larger 44px
x 44px size. If they can absolutely guarantee there won't be touch users
(which nowadays is quite unlikely, as there are touch-enabled laptops,
desktops, etc) then they can stick to only satisfying 22px x 22px.

> */chris:/*Moblie and desktop designer are different and we shouldn't
> force people into one
>
> */detlev:/*Some sites are used on both

The specifics of how designers/authors then want to implement this stuff
on multi-input environments with both touch and mouse/stylus is left up
to them. Understanding/how to meet can however provide various examples,
including:

- provide an explicit setting/option/switch for users to change the UI
(like what Office 2013 does, with its "touch / mouse" switch)

- use a library like what-input.js to help ascertain what the user is
using right now and dynamically change UI accordingly (though there's a
danger that this would change the UI at the moment the user starts
interacting, which is not ideal in all situations)

- use CSS 4 interaction media features to find the lowest common
denominator (e.g. if ANY input detected by the UA is pointer:coarse,
ensure that controls are bigger)

- always go for bigger touch/activation targets (as discussed above)

> <*/marcjohlic/*> Some IAAP discussions on Minimum Target size the past
> couple of days:
> http://connections.accessibilityassociation.org/communities/community-home/viewthread?MID=1409&GroupId=145&tab=digestviewer&UserKey=97893b70-057d-467e-9fd6-49e558e3ea2e&sKey=97ebd69b1d72496b994b

Note that not everybody (myself, for one) is a member of IAAP, so the
link won't work for everybody.